1. DVD/Online Documentary
Executive Producer Ricki Lake and Filmmaker Abby Epstein follow their landmark documentary, The Business of Being Born, with an all-new, four part DVD series that continues their provocative and entertaining exploration of the modern maternity care system. The entire series can be viewed online for $9.99 USD. A MUST see! Excellent educational and awareness series! I highly recommend. www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com FULL documentary can currently be watched on YouTube for FREE at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMX3ahiOT3o
Pregnant in America. A great documentary created in 2008. The true story of Steve and Mandy Buonaugurio, a young, adventurous, expectant couple, who decide to take a daring and potentially dangerous approach to having their first child–outside the modern American medical system. What they learn about hospitals, doctors, insurance companies, midwives, and home birth as they travel across the United States and Europe interviewing experts and confronting birthing situations, exposes them to some shocking and disturbing realities about America’s maternity care system and what is happening to women and babies. You have to watch it in parts on YouTube. (Eleven 10 minute segments.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEcYSMmJrw8
2. Books (Too many to mention)!
- “The Birth Partner” by Penny Simkins
- Preparing for labor and knowing when it has begun;
- Normal labor and how to help the woman every step of the way;
- Epidurals and other medications for labor;
- Non-drug techniques for easing labor pain;
- Cesarean birth and complications that may require it;
- Breastfeeding and newborn care;
- And much more. It can be purchased through https://www.pennysimkin.com/shop/the-birth-partner-4th-edition/
- HypnoBirthing the Mongan Method by Marie F. Mongan
In this easy-to-read and understand guide to birthing, Marie Mongan explodes the myth of pain as a natural accompaniment to childbirth and offers, at last, the answer to eliminating the anguish of labor. This book, the textbook for HypnoBirthing classes, will guide you through the philosophy and techniques of normal, gentle birthing. It can be purchased through https://us.hypnobirthing.com/shop/hypnobirthing-book-the-mongan-method/
- “Your Birth Plan” by Kathy Stewart. A book about creating your path for a fulfilling pregnancy, birth and postpartum journey. Excellent, insightful and resourceful! It can be purchased through www.yourbirthplanbook.com. Comes with a relaxation and guided visualization CD too!
- “Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth” by Ina May Gaskin. Everything you need to know to have the best birth experience for YOU–whether in a hospital, birthing center or the comfort of home. This book is 5 stars. Seriously. Beyond a must read. Incredibly informative comparing the midwifery model of care to the modern day maternity system. After reading this book, I guarantee you will want to birth naturally and perhaps not in a hospital. : )
3. Childbirth Preparation Classes (Prepare you MIND and your BODY!) Discover/find classes that are right for YOU.
- The Birth Workshop
A one day workshop that goes over the physiological stages of labor, the importance of optimal fetal position and how to achieve it, interventions you may encounter and how to be prepared to make informed choices, comfort measures and much more. Please message me at 385-333-5146 to schedule a group or private class.
- The Bradley Method www.bradleybirth.com Designed for natural childbirth. Covering topics such as: prenatal nutrition & exercise, relaxation for an easier birth, husbands as coaches, birth plans and more! Online classes lasting 12 weeks.
- Lamaze. www.lamaze.org. This website is an excellent resource! Promote, support and protect natural, safe and healthy birth through education and advocacy.
- Hypnobirthing The Mongan Method https://us.hypnobirthing.com The Mongan Method is a complete antenatal education. Our birthing classes are intended to help you have the most natural childbirth possible, using easily-learned self hypnosis and breathing techniques.
- Calm Birth. www.calmbirth.org Based in mind/body medicine and science.
- The Breastfeeding Workshop
Learn the basics of breastfeeding in this 2 hour crash course. Please contact me at 385-333-5146 to arrange a class.
4. Kick Counts (Important to monitor around the 28th week of pregnancy)
COUNT THE KICKS™ wants to empower Mums with knowledge and confidence during their pregnancy and to promote a healthy outcome. We aim to ensure Mums are aware of their health and wellbeing throughout their pregnancy enabling them to provide their healthcare provider with accurate and specific information to assist them with an efficient, prompt support and quality of care. Ensuring Mums also know the importance of monitoring their baby’s movements and offering Mums information to enable her to make informed choices. www.countthekicks.org.uk
5. Perineal Massage (Around the 38th week of pregnancy)
Perineal massage is the gentle stretching and massaging of the skin between the anus and vagina (perineum) during the last few weeks of pregnancy. This massage has been shown to reduce the incidence of episiotomy and perineal tears during birth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBqSO7F_WE&t=156s
6. Let’s not forget the Dad-to-be!
Great website and resources at www.mrdad.com. Armin Brott is America’s most trusted Dad™. He’s the author of seven bestselling books on fatherhood. He has written for dozens of major publications such as Newsweek, The New York Times Magazine, Men’s Health, and Parenting Magazine, and appeared on hundreds of radio and television shows including Today, Fox News, CBS Overnight, and Politically Incorrect. Armin has taken his experience as the father of three beautiful children, interviews with thousands of fathers just like you, and with the very latest research, and written books specifically for Dads…
“The Role of Dads in Labour & Birth” A GREAT blog that includes videos, books, websites and web articles for dads. I highly recommend. Excellent! http://powerlovewisdom.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/ive-had-request-from-good-friend-to.html
7. Support Programs
- Husband deployed? Going to be deployed? Upcoming TDY? Or are you going through pregnancy alone? Please contact me, I offer discounted support to those in this situation.
- Family Advocacy and New Parent Support Programs, 9010449-9501
Military & Family Life Counselor Program(MFLC) addresses issues that occur across the military lifestyle and helps Service Members and their families cope with normal reactions to the stress resulting from deployments, war and reintegration. Non-medical counseling services include life skills and military lifestyle. Licensed clinical counselors on staff. Please contact 801-391-5460 • Building 150 (A&FRC)* Individual, Couples, & Family Counseling* Parenting Seminars
Other Local Doulas
VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
VBAC’s are supported here in NC! I highly encourage women that have had a cesarean section to speak to their healthcare provider about the benefits and risks of VBAC. (By the way, there are more benefits than risks. Having a repeat cesarean is a greater risk than a vaginal delivery). Additionally you can learn more at: www.vbac.com or www.ican-online.org. Great video’s…”Trial of Labor” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQP6OcZ32Q&t=3s and “Finding My Voice. My VBAC Journey”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21eW6vNch08
Other Online Resources
The Birth Facts. www.thebirthfacts.com
Great childbirth education resource: www.transitiontoparenthood.com
Childbirth Connection. www.childbirthconnection.org. Source for trustworthy up-to-date evidence-based information and resources on planning for pregnancy, labor and birth, and the postpartum period.
Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) www.motherfriendly.org
Postpartum Support International www.postpartum.net
Birth Trauma Association. A UK-based group offering emotional and practical support to women and families who have had a traumatic birth experience. www.birthtraumaassociation.org.uk
Robyn’s Nest Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder after Childbirth. Provides educational information and support for women who have experienced post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or related disorders after childbirth. www.robynsnest.com
Waterbirth International www.waterbirth.org Dedicated to making waterbirth an available option for all women.
Facebook support groups: “Camp Lejeune Mommies Due in 2019”